SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gas Engines?
Thread: Gas Engines?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Sorry SD, my one word-one reason: COST. I converted my V6 Chev Blazer from gas into LNG, back in 2001. Used the car for 2 years, and found it acceptable the loss of 20-30% in power, cheaper than gas, but hard to find LNG stations and limited range, moved me away. Today, almost 70% of gas station does offer LNG, but actual prices plus conversion kits plus low mileage rage plus compression rate increase plus space taken on trunk, make it not acceptable. Ethanol (now widely offered) os far more cost effective. This month's BOAT US issue presented a simple energy balance showing that the almost 40% less BTU power per gallon of LPG, wouldn't make it a cost effective (they also presented a veggie oil note also). About safety, good engineering can make a very safe installation; although ABYC doesn't have any standard for LNG engines, automotive usage of such combustible is far well know and good industrial standards would prevent disasters (what about nuclear power on ships ?). With today's technology and fuel prices, consider how many engine hours you run yearly, and the economy you make per gallon .... that will take centuries to recover the investment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook