SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Naming an old boat without a name

9K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  ThereYouAre 
#1 ·
We bought a 77 Capital Yacht-Newport 28 today. As I was crawling all over it, I realized I didn't see a name anywhere. I asked the owner about that, and he said that when they got the boat 6 years ago it didn't have one, and all that time, they never decided on one.

I can't believe in 31 years the she was never named, so somewhere someone must have started a rename by removing the original and never replaced it. How does the superstition go in this case? Does whomever left her unnamed bear the brunt of the bad mojo? What should I do to keep it from coming to us?

Patton

#2 ·
Name her, use good libations and generously... :)

#4 ·
Perhaps I have a different vision of some things than other people, either because I have been out here too long, or because there are too many 'real' issues to be concerned about to waste time worrying about silly-ass superstitions.

Here are the criteria I, in my limited intellect and absence of starry-eyed romanticism, find important:

1. A name IS important as it allows others to hail you without the ridiculous, "Ah, sailboat with no name! Um, unnamed vessel! You're dingy has broken loose. Ah, well, nevermind then." And other such discouraging radio transmissions. So, you need a name.

2. The name of a vessel, any vessel, is for ready identification. It is not to promote your favorite political opinion, illustrate your need for feminine attention, declare your masculine prowess, or lack thereof, make a dirty joke, or impress us all with your wit, profound intelligence, or superior ivy league education. No one gives a crap. It is for ready identification and ease of use.

Ease of use is readily illustrated by this short story: A friend of mine named his 40' sailboat 'Zubenelgenubi'. Isn't that beautiful? It's Arabic and is the name of the last star or the navigation list. It means 'Southern Claw' and refers to the Scorpion Constellation. It's such a damn shame the guy trying to hail him to warn him he was flying at Devils Back Ridge near the entrance to Boston Harbor, couldn't even begin to pronounce the name, and excited screaming over the radio failed to alert my buddy that it was HE who was in danger. $13,000 in damages, but a really clever name. Too bad it didn't work.

3. There are some boats that have a long and fondly admired history, and I do agree that nautical nostalgia begs that such vessels not be subjected to renaming after transfer of ownership. To maintain the boats' identity opens the door to many pleasant dock conversations and the meeting of many new friends. It's usually a good thing to keep such names.

Other than that, pick out a sweet, short name that's easy on the eyes and transom, and clear and distinct over the radio. It's a name, not a declaration or indictment, just a name. And there is no bad luck, voodoo curse, crossways mojo, or Davy Jones attachment to it. If there were, half the boats I've seen should have sunk, burst into flame, or spontaneously turned pink with shame. And you just don't see a lot of that.

#7 ·
I had the same problem with my first sailboat. One day, I looked out the window, and saw a little hawk, a Kestrel, grab a small bird off a limb. He flew over to my sailboat, and proceded to tear apart his dinner, and eat it while perched the mast. After seeing that, I had to name the boat........Blood & Guts?.........just kidding...Kestrel.

#8 ·
My last boat was 37 yrs old and never had a name, I bought it from the second son of the original owner, the boat was handed down from dad to 1st son to 2nd son.

My wife and I gave it new life, then sent her on her way, last I saw it still didn't have a name on it

#12 ·
Our boat is a schooner that appears to have never been named. The bowsprit reminded my wife of a narwhal, so that's what we went with. Just "Narwhal". Short and easy to say. Our main focus was necessary and required safety equipment such as fire extinguishers, life jackets, throwable rescue device, mast light etc. Had she already had a name, we wouldn't have renamed her. Like previously stated on this thread, identification is more important than some superstition. However, if some prefer to follow a ritual of some kind, who am I to tell them otherwise? Whatever feels right for you.

#14 ·
I've renamed a boat by going back to a previous name, renamed others completely and had an old classic gaffer that I kept her name. My preference when renaming is to find a unique name and in the case of this boat, spent about a week online determining there were no other Skipping Stones. Now there are.
I've done little for renaming ceremonies and have noticed little bad juju either way. The old gaffer got the worst of it, being capsized 3 times in a hurricane, but she got us back to a safe harbor.
I think, as mentioned above, it is foolish to have a boat name that is difficult to communicate on the radio and read on the boat. Other than that, have fun.

#16 ·
My brother's boat wound up "Nunya" because they never found one. You see a name down there, nope none, you?
I try to think about what my boat's name sounds like over the VHF.
"Anticipation" was good, but to long.
"Rum Line" apparently was hard to remember for others.
"Galileo's Dance" was not my choice, but nobody remembered it.
"Min Moo" was not only infamous, but easy for everyone to remember. She became an icon on Lake Wallenpaupack. Might have been her spots though.

"Freedom" my present boat is hardly original, but represents exactly what the boat means to me. Freedom brought me to Virginia, Freedom is what I feel when I sail, and Freedom is what I cherish most on this planet. The fact that Freedom was a famous AC boat is bonus. She'll be getting a sticker, that states "Freedom isn't free," as well.

There is some irony that a Canadian built boat would be named after an AC boat though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.