SailNet Community - View Single Post - opinions re: epoxy vs. plastic hulls, lead vs. iron keels
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgleBargle View Post
hi

interested if anyone has any opinions on the following:

1. Is there any specific disadvantage, other than price and possibly environmental considerations in manufacturing, of an epoxy hull compared to a poly/vinyl-ester hull? (comparing apples to apples - i.e. assuming both cored with same core material)
Epoxy is subject to thermal distortion at lower temperatures than poly/vinyester resins, so in the case of most epoxy-composite boats, dark colors are best avoided. However, the will generally be more resistant to osmosis, stronger, and a bit lighter.

Quote:
2. (I know this has been discussed somewhat previously & have looked at the posts) what disadvantages are there to lead versus iron keels.
Lead is more expensive and more toxic. However, it has a higher density and as such will have less wetted surface area for the same righting moment (weight in ballast). It is also far more forgiving in a collision, with an externally mounted keel, since the lead tends to deform and absorb a lot of the impact energy, rather than transfer it to the keel support structure.

Quote:
i ask just because as i look around for next boatie, it seems to me that apart from (relatively) small price differences, there are no disadvantages to epoxy hull and lead keel. i do see some disadvantages to carbon fiber spars.

would be interested in others' thoughts.

Carbon fiber spars have a few major disadvantages, especially for a cruising boat in remote regions. First, it isn't as easily repaired, requiring fairly sophisticated materials and techniques to repair it. Second, in a lightning strike, a carbon fiber spar may look fine, but actually have serious delaminated areas and be a serious danger to the boat. Third, there are some serious galvanic corrosion issues with hardware attachment to a carbon fiber spar, given carbon fiber (graphite) relatively high position on the anodic scale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook