SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taipan 28 - How well offshore?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Taipan 28 - How well offshore?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your sober comments, but I''d like to respectfully disagree with some of your comments. She is, like all narrow-beamed boats, a bit tender - but the trade off, of course, is much better righting moment and a quicker boat, albeit with less storage. Important too that I''m not talking about a circumnavigation here. Having said that, in the time since I first posted, I discovered a Sailnet article in which Alex Baldwin describes a rather circuitous two-way Atlantic crossing in a Taipan 28. He praises the boat as a reliable and "plucky" cruiser. By "by the numbers" I meant how the boat rates according to the various values on Sail Calc, for example: capsize ratio is 1.5 (<2 being considered good for "heavy weather" sailing); motion comfort is mid-range (35); hull-speed is just over 6 knots, etc. Overall, the rating comes out better than a Contessa 32, a famous blue-water passage maker. I appreciate your insights, Jeff, but it''s obvious your bias is toward larger boats. Fair enough, but not all of us (and certainly NOT me) can afford big boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook