SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taipan 28 - How well offshore?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Taipan 28 - How well offshore?

Hi Jeff,

Not meant as an ad hominem attack. I only meant to go by the evidence of one of your previous posts in which you state (and I''m paraphrasing) ''no boat in the 25-29 foot range is suitable for an offshore passage.'' (correct me if that''s wrong). No offence intended, so please don''t take any. As I stated before, I appreciate reading your exchanges on this forum; and indeed, I did ask for opinions. But, to get back to the constructive part of the exercise: as for the weight aloft, many Taipans were either built with (or converted to) aluminum masts. Mine hasn''t been, but could be. Further, many aluminum spared boat have all kinds of crap aloft (radar, radar reflector, spreader lights, etc.) that while one might consider necessary, would add to the problem you state, evening the score somewhat. BTW, displacement is nearly 4 tons, with a 1.5 tons of ballast, no teak deck (anymore, at least), a small cockpit, so not much area to fill up if pooped. As far as downflooding is concerned, if the washboards are in, she''s as tight as a drum, just like any other boat. Have I understood that correctly?

Regards,
Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook