SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taipan 28 - How well offshore?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Taipan 28 - How well offshore?

I believe that in a prior thread that asked about the ''ideal'' small circumvagator, I belive that I said "There is no such thing as a 27 to 28 foot boat that is ideal for sailing around the world." By that I meant that to achieve what I consider to be an ideal L/D for a 27-28, the boat would not have an ideal amount of carrying capacity for one or two people attempting a circumnavigation. That does not mean that I think that it can''t be done. With luck and planning and in the big picture perhaps a bit more money than it would cost with a larger boat, it can be done. Do I think that is ideal? No!

The point that I have tried to make on the size issue is that cruisers are more accurately sized by displacement first and then by length. All things being equal the longer waterline boat with the same displacement will be easier to operate, be more seaworthy,have greater motion comfort, have a larger carrying capacity, and be faster.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook