SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first electronics upgrade - questions
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
My first electronics upgrade

Dog -
Well, thats a good point. I had not considered NEMA 2000 as I have only seen a little info on it. I will look into what Garmin has as options on their newer chart plotters. I am inclined to go with electronics that have been tried and tested and found reliable. I was not considering some of their new touch screen models for that reason (and price as well).

I will do some reading and research on NEMA 2000 to see if I can identify the potential advantages down the road. But my impression is for the kind of boat I have and the type of sailing I will be doing, I don't think I need to future proof it too much.

I would think newer equipment would be backward compatible to NEMA 1083, but I am not so sure as I think the physical network differences between the two are significant.

What do you see as the limiting issues for the 1083 bus system, being a single talker and multi-listener system. Is it that a chart plotter at the helm would not be able to communicate to a main chart plotter or PC at the Nav station?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook