SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Dufour 34
Thread: New Dufour 34
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
New Dufour 34

Would tend to thnk vacuum bagging is an asset, rather than a deficiency, and would certainly want the pans & support grids moulded to the hull - what good would they be if they weren''t? Hinckley builds their boats that way too. Using screws instead of bolts would be an absolute no-go for me. I''d want to check, however, whether they''re sheet metal screws simply holding the fiberglass pieces of the hull and deck together temporarily (because if tthat''s what they are, then it will only be temporarily) ,or whether they are machine screws that are threaded through a plate that has been moulded into the hull along the rail. The latter procedure is followed by some builders, since it enables them to provide the security of bolts (with even better spreading of loads, due to the continuous plate in the hull) at a lower cost. (You only need one guy to install them, instead of having a second guy inside the boat holding the nut.) It can look like they''re simply screws, however, so it would be worthwhile to check. I suspect they might be screws in this case. Dufour''s interior cabinetry has not impressed me with its strenght or solidity, though they may have improved since I last looked. too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook