SailNet Community - View Single Post - My first electronics upgrade - questions
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
My first electronics upgrade

I have not really seen radar and weather overlayed on a GPS screen to know how cluttered that looks. Can you switch back and forth between radar view, weather view and map view? I really don't have any intentions, right now, to add radar and if I did I would interface it to larger screen device at the Nav station. But I have never used radar, so I don't know actually how you should use it.

We made the 5 day trip from CT to Md using a handheld GPS and paper charts. The GPS had no charts so it was just to keep track of our route. Even with due diligence on our part we still ran aground several times. Ran aground is a bit too harsh, we actually just bumped as we were traveling very slowly and looking for places to anchor in between channels. With this boat this is no problem as I just crank up the keel a few inches and we are off. So my feeling is that even with a GPS chart plotter there is still going to be confusion of where the channel actually is, especially when there are several that come together as we experienced, so it is no substitute for paying attention. So my feeling is that the 6" screen is enough to let us know where we are and the general lay of the land, so to speak, without having to fumble with paper charts at the wheel. But I could be convinced otherwise, as this is our first boat and all new experiences for us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook