SailNet Community - View Single Post - LA Decisions...
Thread: LA Decisions...
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008
Banned

serenity4u2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks SD

Thanks for the input SD... First I am new to this site and do not know how to copy what you said and reply directly as you did with my post... As far as you last comment, OK you are right that a LA may have less repairs due to frewuent up keep... I was basically stating that a boat thats lived on will be used to a greater degree then one that is used on weekends.. Greater use = Greater wear and tear!!! Yes, keeping up with scheduled maintenance will keep major repairs down... That goes with out saying......

OK SD, You state that the Gemini builds a boat that makes repairs less accesable then others and not as much as others... That is a broad statement my friend. Could you please clarify!!! I would like to know what is not so accessable, which means to me- increased difficulty to maintain and also greater cost when I have to have some one tear the Gemini apart.

SD, thanks for the plumbing input.... I have heard that said on other threeads as I have been reading... I hear many state that the Gemini needs much electrical upgrad for LA and cruising... The Gemini owners (I spoke with the wife) says that Peter Kennedy does much of there upgrades to factory built boats and the two can work together... Why do you not recommend this person??? Who do you recommend??? This also assumes I purchase a boat new from the factory.. Obviously if bought used on the west coats I would find someone else- Location would dictate such... Additionally that Peter person lists numerous upgrades he can do but does not make many suggestions as what HE thinks would would be needed to make the Gemini a LA and suitable for cruising... What would you recommend SD???

As far as the other two boats mentioned Catalina and New Gulf 32... Both are off my list... This comes after reading many threads about LA and cruising PNW... Catalinas are nice and roomy but will not offer the space of a Gemini, while the Gemini makes for cruising out of the elements (kind of like a pilot house) read that thread as well...

PS... I have no real experience with sailing the Gemini or any multi hull for that matter... My understanding is they sail well even in rough water b/c they sail above the water not in the water... Yes, I am aware that weight effects sailing ability... Plus I wouold take a multi hull sailing class in this area to gain a better understanding of thier sailing characteristics... Remember the primary focus is space as a LA and also on quality of boat and access to main systems for routine inspections and also repairs...

Thanks SD....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook