SailNet Community - View Single Post - Product Reviews
Thread: Product Reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Water Pump Impellers:
2 years ago I put a new waterpump on our 72 HP Yanmar Diesel. I had been reading about the new composite impellers by Globe. The following is the text from the Defender Industries website on this product -
The only impeller in the world guaranteed to run dry for 15 minutes.
Globe/barco impellers are made of elastomer compounds, developed for optimum performance and self lubricating for run dry protection.
These compounds (niprene) allow these impellers to pump diesel, fuel, engine oil and gasoline without swelling.
Also, these impellers have greater resistance to sand and dirt abrasion.
This weekend in Nantucket Sound, the water temp alarm went off while running at our usual 2,800 rpm and throwing good water out the exhaust. Short version following is the two year old "you beauty" Globe impeller was worn at the back end and replacing the impeller solved the over heating. There are filters at the raw water intake prior to the seacock and two filters prior to the water pump. There was nothing other than minor weed in the primary filter/strainer. I had been expecting better from the new composite filters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook