SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just bought a 77 Newport 28, looking for Manual
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008

Rafaelb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdii View Post
BTW, the Newport 27 manual was very helpfull Thuesday when we were cleaining it up. It took me an embarasingly long time to find the master switch, but I got it started up.

The original manuals are so old and poorly typeset has anyone thought of starting a project to make a modern manual? Things like Color Wiring diagrams and more photos could be very helpful. Even if one were made to cover all boats and the differences just pointed out.

I would be happy to type up any of the texts that I could as a starting point, but would need an editor that new what they were doing and pictures would be a help.

At the end we could publish it as a PDF for all future Newport owners to have something to have as a reference.
I like that idea: ONe thing that could be done is to use a scanner to 'textualize' the old manuals: that is convert them to regular text.

I use WordPerfect which has a handy convert-tp-pdf function that works fairly well.

Probably the most difficult thing would be recreating the drawings like the mast layout, deck and cabin drawings etc.

Rafael
S/Y Malaguena
Newport 28 MK II
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook