SailNet Community - View Single Post - YIKES!!!!! 30+ foot boats are expensive!!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
YIKES!!!!! 30+ foot boats are expensive!!

No kidding.....We tried to warn you. You still may be way ahead to parts the boat out and find a boat that is intact. As I explained in response to your original post, in absolutely perfect shape, these boats have a selling somewhere betweem $15,000 and $20K. Most would sell somewhere close to $15K. Perfectly restored but having been sunk, yours has a value well under $15K, if you disclose that she was sunk. These boats were of mediocre build quality and compared to slightly more modern, non-IOR era designs offered poor sailing ability. They are no longer competitive as race boats and are not exactly good cruisers as well.

If you are going to spend the time and effort involved in putting this boat back together in a manner that does not look cobbled up, not to mention the considerable expenses (which parts alone will well exceed the value of the boat), I would strongly suggest that you pick a more worthy design as a project boat. To me, nothing is sadder than some one lavishing years of thier life into fixing up a medocre or worse design. At this point you may be able to parts out the boat and perhaps come out even. Once you start down the road of a new engine and engine beds, electrical fixtures wiring and panels, refrigeration equipment, instrumentation, new keel and rudder you will have a lot more money invested in the boat than you could go out and buy a good boat for and besides you could be out sailing instead breathing epoxy fumes.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook