SailNet Community - View Single Post - YIKES!!!!! 30+ foot boats are expensive!!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003

john232 is on a distinguished road
YIKES!!!!! 30+ foot boats are expensive!!

Jeff says "They are no longer competitive as race boats and are not exactly good cruisers as well. Jeff I beg to differ on you opinion about the S30 not being a decent cruiser. The boat has modest beam (10ft) it has a tall rig (41ft) modest displacement (8000lbs) the specs are:
I 41
E 10.83
J 13.58
P 473.3
Also the 3800lb keel should give the boat good stability in the weather. For a 20 plus year old boat I was amazed that the hull had zero nata bit of blister or osmosis and the deck is much stronger than the J 30 I sailed on last year, and there was no core intrusion, or delamination, of any kind, any where. Also the wood work inside was not just thrown together and all the bulkheads were glassed in place (NOT TABBED) the joinery is done very well, the lazzerette is deep and functional and the wheel steering system seems to be very functional, and the roller furling is always a big plus as is the flawless appearance of the gel coat. All the life lines and stantions are solid and the anchor locker is huge. I just don''t think a person could ask for much more out of a 20 plus year old performance cruiser. Also I thought that Schock Corp. was a pretty good builder since they have built alot of nice boats over the years and were infact one of the FIRST fiberglass builders in the USA and were even contracted to build the famous Tartan 27 back some 35 years ago and the new Schock 40 is on the leading edge of technology with canting keel and carbon fiber technology and is also winning lots of races. Anyway, I am rambling now, but I have kind of grown fond of this little cruiser and would be interested to know what you have to sail? Also I kind of feel that I can critisize my boat all I want but just like my Wife, I kind of get all hot and bothered when some stranger tells me my boat sucks, or is not much good for anything but scrapping. I feel this boat is at least as good and most likely better than some of the late 70s early 80s boats like the Catalina 30 or pearson 30, or hunter 30 or Tartan 30. Anyway I am pretty happy so far and I think this boat is turning out to be just what I want at this time in my life. Later
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook