SailNet Community - View Single Post - Setting up for easy single handed reefing
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008

baboon is on a distinguished road
My boat originally had roller reefing, but over time the system started to fail. I went to the system you describe with lazyjacks and two reefing lines. I also have the main hallyard led back to cockpit with all 3 clutches in one bank. The system works well and can be reefed without going forward. If it is blowing and I am not sure if a reef is needed, I will often start by raising the main to the reef points which is very easy short handed. You could not do this with roller reefing and the sail flaked on the boom. If I want to shake out the reef I simply throw the reef line clutches and raise the main the rest of the way. I do not take the lazy jacks forward when short handed. This is a bit sloppy and may increase sail wear, but those lines are not led aft. I would like my topping lift led aft since the reef can slightly alter the boom angle. I do not have the time, money, room for that. This system would be difficult to set up with 2 reef points as you would either have to re-rig the reef lines each time or leed multiple lines aft.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook