SailNet Community - View Single Post - Setting up for easy single handed reefing
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Hi MX:

I have a similiar system as jbondy mentions above, except my reefing lines don't run to the cockpit, but terminate at cleats mounted on the boom. I do have lazy jacks that run to the cockpit, but the starboard one always hangs up on the reefing cleats on the boom, so I have to go to the mast anyway to untangle the mess. The lazy jacks also are mast mounted at the top, which is another issue. During my recent rigging inspection, I mentioned these issues to my rigger, and he suggested I move the top pulley of the lazy jacks off the mast to make more of a "V" shape to capture the mainsail and funnel it down to the boom. He also suggested that all reefing, lazy jacks, and hallyards be left at the mast and not run back to the cockpit since all the turnbuckels and rope guides add friction which makes raising and lowering the sails harder. I guess the best advise is that if you run lines to the cockpit, run them all, or leave them all at the mast. I also have jam cleats for the lazy jacks in the cockpit which wear out over time and don't hold well. I wouldn't advise using them, but something that holds the line better. Nothing worse than having one side of your lazy jack system collapse as you are lowering the mainsail, and creating a mess. So I am also deciding whether to run the reefing lines to the cockpit as well. I also have other grommets in the mainsail at each reefing point that I suppose are used to add tiedowns to, or could be used to run the reefing line through to hold the excess mainsail material better on the boom. If you have to go to the mast to add additional tiedowns, anyway, then there is another reason to leave all the lines at the mast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California

Last edited by LittleWingCA; 08-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook