SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moderated Discussion Group?????
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008
s/v Annie Laurie

ka4wja is on a distinguished road
Wow! Such responses.....
I appreciate them all.....

To the "administrator" (and others):
I do know proper manners, etiquette, speech, etc......I was raised by 2 loving and caring parents, many older siblings, etc....and in addition to being a very well educated person, I've owner and operated my own business (successfully) for 25 years.....have taught hundreds of seminars, and spoke to audiences of thousands....as well as volunteer in my local middle school, teaching 8th graders.......

In addition to those attributes, I've spent most of my life boating and sailing....
Voyaging and cruising in remote places starting in the 1960's......
Across the North Atlantic, the Med, Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, etc....
I've met thousnads of wonderful people, from many nations and cultures, and have learned a lot from them all.....

And, I may be new to this particular sailnet.com forum, but I'm not new to web-based sailing discussion forums....since as an SSCA member and long-time user of the SSCA discussion forums, I'm quite familar with what can happen on line, when good manners are not adhered to.......

And, I've spent the past 6 years discussing our Catalina 470's with other owners, in our sailnet.net email-based discussion list.....

My concern over being "moderated" is my personal taste, and NOT to imply that the sailnet forum's moderators / administrators are anything but honorable......

My question is:
WHY???
Why does a discussion group (especially among friends), concerning a common interest (we all own the same model boat), need a moderator?????

In over 30 years of ham radio discussions, with people from ALL over the world, on all number of subjects, I've never felt the need to be moderated......

Perhaps I'm too sensitive to this issue.....and perhaps I've underestimated the amount of non-c470 owners who will be contributing to our discussiuons....and lastly, I may need to simply "moderate" myself more!!!

I'll do my best to deal with the changes that sailnet has dealt us all.....but I guess my frustrations have shown through in this posting, huh???

Camaraderie, no worries here!!!!
You seem like a nice guy......and I DO appreciate your assistance in getting my original post (from last week) moved back here, to its original location......

** And, yes, I have read through much of the guidelines and procedures.....
And, although I did upload a small photo as my signature photo.....I still haven't seen it....so I susepct that you all (admin and moderators) have been fairly busy with so many new people "coming in from the cold" of the old e-mail discussion lists..... }

John
s.v Annie Laurie, C470, #26
(currently lying, Sewall's Point, FL, for summer 2008)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook