SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moderated Discussion Group?????
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
My concern over being "moderated" is my personal taste, and NOT to imply that the sailnet forum's moderators / administrators are anything but honorable......

My question is:
WHY???
Why does a discussion group (especially among friends), concerning a common interest (we all own the same model boat), need a moderator?????

In over 30 years of ham radio discussions, with people from ALL over the world, on all number of subjects, I've never felt the need to be moderated......

Perhaps I'm too sensitive to this issue.....and perhaps I've underestimated the amount of non-c470 owners who will be contributing to our discussiuons....

John
Hi again John..In answer to your question "why"...I think the answer lies in the new VERY public status of this forum vs. the old lists. We have about 120,000 active users here and at any moment in time about 10x as many guests as members using the forums. Contrast that to the very private nature of small e-mail groups and the common bonds there. You are going to find a lot of people responding...some not politely...some spammers etc. and that will be a change. Trust me...there will be some moderating needed!
The other thing I would say is that since this is now a public forum owned by sailnet...certain standards are expected to be adhered to and things like profanity that might have been ok between your small group are just not acceptable here...indeed, most is automatically filtered which is a form of moderation.
So...all in all...some changes I will expect will be a net positive for you guys and others will be a negative. As others have pointed out...
Hope on balance it is positive and you stick around!