SailNet Community - View Single Post - YIKES!!!!! 30+ foot boats are expensive!!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
YIKES!!!!! 30+ foot boats are expensive!!

John232

Once again I''ll provide the dark cloud.

It''s great that you''re happy about this boat, beacuse it sure seems like you are lining yourself up to learn in spades why boats are often described as a hole in the water into which one pours money.
If you went out and bought one of these apples of your eye, mint and sail away for $20K, and get a good condition, usable boat that you can enjoy right away, you would still have to learn that lession, because the operation and maintenance of any boat is painful $$$ at best, but that''s what it takes to pay for our pleasures.
Your situation is that you have no clue as to how big the hole is that you need to fill with money, and no assurance that when you''re done, if you ever get done, you''ll get even half of it back when you sell the boat, if you are able sell it.
So don''t snap at folks kindly offering you sage advice, in a more polite way than I. I''d agree the Santana 30 is sort of a cute boat, although not equal to the marvelous Tartan 30, and probably not as well built as a Pearson 30, and definately not one to approach with an open wallet, unless your resources have no bottom.
As I said before, the best one can hope for in buying a boat is to actually get what one pays for - the open question remains whether your $500 was well spent...

Good luck and keep up posted on progress...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook