SailNet Community - View Single Post - Important Notice regarding list.sailnet.net (the old SailNet List Server)
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
ps: the company that owns Sailnet also owns speedwake and uses their server for email bounce processing.
Maybe they should reconsider that, because whomever used to (?) administer sailnet.com and sailnet.net did a heckuva a better job than whomever is responsible for speedwake.com. (Hate to sound like a typical sailor with an attitude about power-boaters, but, somehow, I cannot miss the irony.)

As somebody somewhat knowledgeable about mail server administration, mailing lists, bulk email, spam, network abuse, etc., I have a few suggestions: First: Try to avoid sending email from domain-B on behalf of domain-A whenever possible. There's no way the recipient can possibly know, for example, that email for a sailing site would come from a domain with a name more reflective of a power-boaters site.

Btw: Even somebody who knows how these things work would never know, even if they chose to look into it. Sailnet.com and sailnet.net are registered to "Marine.com LLC" in Thornton, PA, while speedwake.com is registered to "Speedwake LLC" in North East, MD. None of the domain registration information is common between the two.

Secondly: Get your email server(s) proper reverse DNS (PTR) entries. That reject line I quoted is becoming an increasingly widely-used test, either for spam/abuse scoring or for outright rejection (as my servers, both at home and at work now do).

Third: Fix your mail server's config. During email exchanges it's telling the world its name is "linux2.70517.com," but that hostname is at a completely different IP address. (That address has no rDNS either.) That mis-config will cause another negative scoring hit (tho not many out-right rejections).

Fourth: There is hardly a domain name that looks more "spammy" than "some-random-number.tld." Plus that domain's registration has nothing in common with those of Sailnet or Speedwake.

Lastly: If somebody registers at one of your sites with a certain email address, it's probably best to use that address just as it was given to you. Email from even the unknown-to-me-domain speedwake.com, even with all the above, would not have been rejected by my server had it been sent to the email address I specifically provided to Sailnet when I signed up. And, I would note, the email address to which mailing list traffic and PM notices used to be sent. Yes, it's a "tagged" address. I did that for a reason: To make certain Sailnets email was not rejected by my mailserver.

Jim