SailNet Community - View Single Post - First 40.7 & Farr 395
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
First 40.7 & Farr 395

That is a question I hope to ask Bruce Farr (or Geoff Stagg) at the show but in general, I would expect that the Carroll would be lighter and perhaps better built than the Beneteau. I say perhaps since Carroll is not the best builder of raceboats. I also say perhaps because I had a chance to talk to Bruce Farr at the reception for the introduction of the 40.7. Farr indicated that, unlike most of the Farr designs built by Beneteau, Farr''s office had done all of the engineering on the 40.7 and Beneteau was building to their design.

The 40.7 looks like a better cruising boat in some ways. It has better ventilation and a "convertable" cockpit.

The 395 is a later design and may prove to be faster. 40.7''s have doen quite well in racing but like many Farr boats, take a good mainsail trimmer. (If you buy either boat, and are in the Annapolis area, I would be delighted to sign on next year as mainsail trimmer.)

Good luck

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook