SailNet Community - View Single Post - My 3-5 Year Plan toward the Cruising Life
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2001

Raindance is on a distinguished road
My 3-5 Year Plan toward the Cruising Life

It sounds like you have a great plan - my suggestion is that you evaluate the different methods (the spartan Larry Pardey style as opposed to the megaboat style of the Deerfoot boats), talk with as many people WHO HAVE BEEN THERE (try not to pay too much attention to those who are armchair sailors), and try to match the best parts of all of these to your lifestyle. For example, there are peole who are happy doing a passage on one pint of fresh water per person - I wouldn''t dream of cruising without a watermaker and a fresh water shower every day. Neither is right, it is just what works for them. I have shared an anchorage with a Catalina 22 that used a boom for a mast (and no boom), the crew living on rice and beans. The same anchorage had $1M megaboats with electric everything. We all watched the same sunsets, and took turns playing guitars on the beach together. I wish you luck in finding your own way. And when you think about quitting, both before and during your cruise, just remember Winston Churchill''s parting words to the graduating class at Oxford, "Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER GIVE UP!"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook