SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yet another seacock thread
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Yet another seacock thread

So, I'm explaining to the guy who's about to install our generator why I want to use the Groco flange adaptor on the through hull for the raw water intake for the genset. Among other things, I mention the difference between NPS and NPT threads. He comes back with: but how does it seal if the threads between the through hull and the seacock aren't tapered? I really didn't have an answer for him. My thinking was that you use sealant on the threads, but he had an interesting point that the valve being NPT causes a seal between the through hull and the valve, which you wouldn't have with a traditional seacock or the flange adaptor. He also showed me that he could thread the NPT valve on the throughull with about 5 turns or so, leaving only about two or three turns left.

That doesn't address the other reaons to use bona fide seacocks (flange, etc.), and I'm still swapping out the valves over the winter, but thought I'd raise the issue here to see what others have to say.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook