SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help! What brand engine should I buy?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003

ocean_lady2003 is on a distinguished road
Help! What brand engine should I buy?

I am not realy confinced about the Yanmar''s, manage to blow one of these (48 hp) up every 3 years after about 3000 h (hard use). Than there are little handy things like a missing waste oil discharge pump, wich I would expect on an engine prised like that. To change the seal of the raw water pump you have to take the complete engine mounting of other wise you wount get the pump out. In general I think Yanmar is to expensive.
Vetus isn''t my favored eider since I have one in my own boat and I''am working with a generator from Vetus as well which is also giving problems.
Weak point on the marine bits of the mitsubishis is mainly corrosion at the heat exchangers. Than they start using oil pretty quick. Getting parts for a Vetus engine is also a problem. Starts with something stupid like a raw water pump. The drive is so special that nobody stocks something like this you have to order it.
I like the Kubota version. Is a relayable engine, reasonable prised and parts you get quite easy.
Very good engines, but not cheap are nanni disel wich is based on mercedes. They are running very quiet, relayable and using very little fuel. Parts you get all around the world, where ever you go.

Hope I didn''t mix you up any more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook