SailNet Community - View Single Post - which racing dingy to start in the ocean?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
which racing dingy to start in the ocean?

jbarros,
I second Richard Elliot''s recommendation, the Wayfarer dinghy is quite amazing. I used to stuff tents & sleeping gear under the bows and cooking stuff in the lazarette and go for a week at a time: not on the ocean, but on the very large lakes in northern Canada. I took my two teenage kids along. The cockpit is 11 feet long, you can buy a boomtent--so two can camp aboard if the shoreline is too rough for a tent footprint. It weighs 365 lbs so is easy to trailer and rig. It is 16'' long and 6'' wide with a centerboard. I had a 45 ft2 genoa plus a 32 ft2 jib with a reefing foot to 20 ft2, the main carries 95 ft2 with a reefpoint to 70 ft2 so there are lots of sailplans possible. I had mine in force 7 for a whole day. Check out the exploits of Frank and Margaret Dye, from England, they wrote Dinghy Cruising which is quite famous among those of us who are more enamoured with sailing than with Stuff. This is a hardy little boat. The Dye''s boat is in the British Naval Museum--they''re that good.
enjoy!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook