SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yet another seacock thread
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Yeah, you're preaching to the choir on that one. The guy's a good guy, and he's a generator guy who's installing our genset, so he's adding a through hull. In fairness to him, this is the way he's always seen it, this is the way he's always done it, he's never had a problem or even heard of a problem. Plus, he's not a fibreglass guy or plumber. It's sort of like asking your plumber why he makes the electrical connections on the water pump in an odd way. It's something he does, but it's not his area of expertise.
Simple enough and that's a good reason why he did not understand.

Quote:
In any event, I'm going to invest a number of hours correcting the situation on the through hulls on our boat over the winter, and I'm going to use the flange adaptor, which I learned about from you (thanks so much). I'm actually going to try to do it by keeping the existing through hulls, and add the backing plates and cut the through hulls to length while they're installed. That last part will be the trick to determine whether I can do this without ripping out the actual through hulls, which would make the project substantially more difficult and time consuming.
I would not do it that way for a number of reasons but it's up to you. It takes me all of about five minutes per thru-hull to get them out with a pipe wrench. New thru-hulls are cheap even if you destroy the old ones..

Quote:
On another note, I saw on your website one install that I would think twice about. It's the one where you need to make the 90 degree turn right off the through hull, and you attached the elbow right to the flange adaptor, and then the valve after that in the line. To me, that's questionable because you don't have the valve right on the fitting on the hull. So, if the elbow breaks or leaks or whatever, you have no way to shut the water. One disadvantage of the flange adaptor is that you have a fitting between the valve and the through hull (i.e., the flange adaptor itself). To me that's a reasonable compromise under the circumstances. But, adding in the elbow before the valve probably isn't. If it were me (which, as you say on your site, consider how much you're paying for this opinion), I would use a traditional flanged seacock on this one through hull, and fit the elbow to the seacock. That will get you the clearance you need, and still keep the valve right on the through hull.
It's not always possible on an older boat to do things to ABYC standards even if you try. While not ideal, that installation is in it's own separate access space/locker where nothing could possibly bang into it. The elbow is a heavy duty bronze one and the threads were made up very tightly prior to install in a large bench vise. I have no worries about it as the original was just mismatched threads on a thru-hull with no backing plate. Again not ideal but when that is what you have to work with and there is NO room for any other option, believe me I looked, you do the best you can.

Quote:
And FWIW, I wholeheardely concur with others about your website. Very nicely done, and remarkably informative and clear. Thanks.
Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook