SailNet Community - View Single Post - Endeavour 32 1980 - good or bad?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
A friend of mine bought an Endeavor 32' of similar vintage last spring at a fire sale from the estate of the PO. I think they paid 10K and my opinion is that it was well worth it and it is a good sailing boat. My friend's previous boat was a Hunter 25'5" which was so much smaller by comparison that we were all happy he got a bigger boat for our annual overnights.
The PO kept the boat up in Canada and used it to go to the Bahamas a few times so it is quite a capable boat. The PO even had a wind vane steering mechanism installed as well as autopilot for long distances. My friend removed the vane and we are still trying to revive the autopilot. Good thing he isn't taking it to Bermuda anytime soon.
I've been on the E32 in the Chessy near Annapolis when there were small craft advisory warnings out. We had the main reefed and the jib furled a bit and it handled like a champ in the sloppy 3-4' stuff the bay can kick up. I am pretty sure that this boat is the shoal draft keel (eg., @ 4' deep). We flew the spinnaker on it a few weeks ago and it was a blast.
My personal observations about this boat would be:
- I am still not crazy about the wheel steering but I guess you get used to it
- port lights are made of plastic and NOT blue water rated
- the so-called 'Atomic' diesel (Universal M35 something) was well maintained so that was a plus
- the head would back fill from the tank which I hate. I had to instruct my friend on pump out procedures and using KO. That odor really makes the beautiful interior stink for sleeping in, IMHO.
- there was no Topping Lift for the spin pole but we just added one. In fact there was no spin pole or spin on the boat but my friend added those.
- the original traveler is not a fantastic setup but will work
- the boat came with 2 6V golf cart batteries and a 12v deep cycle starting battery (probably non-standard but necessary for longer term cruising). Batteries like the 6V ones are really heavy and hard to get in or out of the bank area under port cockpit bench
- electronics wiring was a bit home spun but basically functional

Overall I think that it is a pretty good 32 footer although I don't have much to compare it to other than a 51' Bendytoe I was on which is an ocean cruiser. I have read of 'oil canning' situations with the E32 (hull flexing when pounding in waves) but if you stay away from the Great Lakes and don't plan on doing significant offshore sailing I would say that it is a nice boat to have. It sails well but may not point up as much as you would like with the shoal draft keel (if the one you looked at has that option). If the engine works well and has been maintained and the price is right I say buy it.
YMMV.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook