SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson Triton Vs. Alberg 30
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008

bcooke is on a distinguished road
As someone who loves his Triton I would say Alberg 30. That extra 6 inches of beam and slightly more freeboard make a big difference as far as interior volume. Once you get a chance to compare you will know what I mean. In most other respects the boats are identical. I personally think the Triton is slightly more beautiful and I like the look of the 7/8ths rig. And yes, you can rig them for double headsails. Might be more efort than they are worth though.

More importantly though, 'fixing up' a boat to go cruising can quickly get out of control. Having fallen into the big rebuildling project myself, my advice is to buy the best boat that is ready to go now that you can afford. Fixing up boats is like tap dancing over quicksand. You can find yourself up to your neck in trouble all too quickly. I love rebuilding boats. But it isn't the best way of getting underway quickly.

As far as choice of blue water cruisers, you can't argue that it can't be done. They have done it many many times. On the other hand, I believe Carl Alberg would be horrified to learn that his family weekenders/ coastal cruisers were being exemplified for blue water passages. That isn't what they were designed for. If these are all you can afford and you have to do it (and I can understand this), then yes, the boats will get the job done. They are far from my ideal choices though. Limited comfort under certain conditions (while excelling in others) limited interior volume and simple old age, are all factors that would make me question these boats for long ocean passages.

-Britton
Triton #680
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook