SailNet Community - View Single Post - Airline Security Take Equipment!
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-15-2003 Thread Starter
Airline Security Take Equipment!

FYI: Last week, after 3 flights from USVI to North Carolina, I discovered that security had taken two 38 gram pressurized CO2 cylinders from my checked baggage. One was taken out of my SOSuspenders life vest/harness and as well as a separate spare bottle. The cylinder in my vest was unscrewed to revent vest inflation. I have traveled with these in my checked baggage several times, and have never had these taken before...even when discovered during searches of my checked baggage (in my presence). I have been advised by flight attendants that these would be no problem.

So...beware! Apparently they are not ok to take. I guess I''ll have to get other gear?

Being a licensed USCG Master (having to submit to an FBI background check), I would think that professionals should be able to get some type of security approval to carry such equipment and even to possibly get through security checks a bit easier. Having to fly 1-way most of the time, I''m almost always checked and checked!!! Now that I was found carrying "illegal" stuff in my checked baggage, I can''t help but wonder if my name is now in the database for perpetual searches!!!

Any comments!!!

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome