SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Henry David Thoreau made an argument about using a box as a place to live. I guess this was before modern nylon backpacking tents. Having spent some time backpacking I must say that almost any boat is better than a backpacking tent. But after 4-5 days out in the woods carrying my house on my back I was ready for some creature comforts!!!!! I love HDT and his ideals have influenced my life. But how minimal can you go???? My Pearson 323 is about as small as I want for a week or two. I guess that my wife and I will go cruising next year and use the P323 at first. If we love the cruising lifestyle we will probably buy a larger boat. But if we are happy cruising in the P323 we will keep cruising in that boat. The main argument from sensible cruising IMHO was that you should go cruising not waste your life planning to go cruising. I know that I am chicken **** and going cruising is scarey. Sitting around for years planning to go criusing is much less scarey!!!! Loading up the boat and going is difficult and I will probably use any excuse to procrastinate actually casting off the lines that hold me firmly attached to life on shore.

Last edited by MoonSailer; 08-11-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook