SailNet Community - View Single Post - pearson 424 vs. passport 40
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-16-2003 Thread Starter
neworlsailer

pearson 424 vs. passport 40

Been shopping for cruising boats for a few months now and am beginning to narrow the search...of course ''till something totally unexpected comes along to seduce me again.

Anyway, the Pearson 424 is a boat I could love and afford, except that I wasn''t happy with her sailing performance the afternoon I spent sailing one. Seems that pointing and light air in particular are issues, which maybe is to be expected with the short rig. As someone said in another string, I want to take my refrigerator, but go fast also.

I have my sights set now on the Passport 40. I understand it is a better performing boat, but, if my calculations are correct, the sail area to displacement ration is about the same as the Pearson 424: 15.2 for the Pearson and 15.36 for the Passport. I used the very groovy calculators at www.image-ination.com/sailcalc. I suspect that the hulls are very similar, though I''m not sure about that.

Am I using the right yardstick here?

It''s difficult to get to the point in this process to take a prospective boat for a test drive, and I don''t want to waste anyone''s time.

Anyone have thoughts to share about these two boats, the SA/D yardstick or boat comparisons in general?

Philip
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome