This is pretty much how my set up is since I can shut off the entire panel from the panel directly. Just to confirm my understanding:
1. It is normal then that the 1/2/both/off switch serves only to select the battery to ventilate and start the engine?
2. The wiring of the other appliances is completely independant of the 1/2/both/off switch (all wired to the house bank via panel and fuses)
3. radio and bilge pump bypass both the panel and the switch with in-line fuses
4. the charger is directly wired to the batteries
Thanks again so much for your help. Everything seems to be working fine but I am far from an expert with electricity