SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Product Reviews

127K views 126 replies 79 participants last post by  grumpyolddude 
#1 ·
Equipment & Gear Reviews​

I thought this might be a nice sticky for everyone. No offense, but I do not trust all the magazines to give me an honest review!! I want to know what sailors think and real life applications.

So... post away with BOAT ONLY Gear reviews. If they really irritate you... say it and why. If you found something really cool and want to let others know... again, the same.

GROUND RULES: STAY ON TOPIC. I do not mind some debate on product reviews, but let's keep it on topic and civil or I will delete it. Also, list the product you are reviewing in the subject. It will make it easier to flip through pages and find things. Look at my example below on the Garmin 478 GPS.

There is an old phrase that says, "If you ask 4 sailors their opinions you will get 5 different answers." I agree with that... so welcome all opinions. This should be good for both seasoned and new boat buyers alike. Let's make it fun and informative.

- CD

#92 ·
Poop-Off All Marine Bird Poop Remover

It works. Came back to boat, last year, to find that the cormorants had decided my spreaders were the "in place" for dining. Poop-off removed their leavings from the sailcover and dodger beautifully.

Doesn't get any better. Actually it does, new boat is Freedom which has no spreaders.

Can be found in pet supply stores and Amazon.com

#94 ·
Just got a chance to use a product called "Spotless Stainless", introduced on Sailnet a few months ago, and am pleased to report that the stuff is every bit as good as the chap said it was. This is a product that is a creamy white gel one applies with a short bristle "acid brush" to the affected rust stain. Leave it on for 30 min and hose it off. I find I'm more comfortable using it than I am with FSR, also a gelled rust stain remover. I haven't used Spotless in general stain removal applications on gelcoat as I have with FSR, but as far as Stainless cleaning is concerned this stuff gets my whole hearted approval.
Howard Keiper
berkeley

#95 ·
I second Gene T's thoughts on the Pettit Trinidad SR bottom paint. We had a Irwin 34' sloop we kept in Richmond Bay Marina in SF and it lasted 3 years. Then we sold the boat when we relocated and used the product in combo with Interprotect 2000 as a barrier coat on a 46' we purchased in Fort Lauderdale and often sail in warm Bahama waters. When we hauled last Oct...after 2 years...it was in better shape then the Irwin hull. We had slime on the waterline on the sunny side of the hull while at dock but that was it.

#97 · (Edited)
Garmin Oregon 400c

I could not resist the sale at West Marine for the Gamin Oregon 400c handheld, $299 vs. a Garmin list of $499 and online prices at GPSCity.com of around $425 and $450 at TigerGPS.com. I got this as a backup to a fixed mount Garmin 3006c and Garmin GPSMap 478 (transportable but not a handheld). It is replacing a garmin GPSMap 76 (being retired because of the grey scale screen and my need for reading glasses. The big features for me with the Oregon 400c were the price, the fact that it is preloaded with all US coastal charts and the color screen.

In addition to the above units I have owned a Garmin GPS 12, a GPSMap 12 and a Nuvi 205 (still using). I'm obviously a big fan of Garmin products and put the order in as soon as I saw the sale price and compared some online vendors. This is a preliminary review as I have not used it on the water yet.

Pros

All US costal charts preloaded.

Excelent GPS reception. I'm getting 4 out of 5 bars inside a stone portion of my house.

Good color screen, in sunlight and in shade.

Battery usage appears to be very good. Use two AA's Alkaline, Lithium, rechargeable.

Contains tide tables and sun/moon phases

Update of unit software very easy.

Download of waypoints and routes from Garmin Mapsource program very easy.

Is a fair amount smaller than the Garmin GPS 72-76 series.

Accepts map data cards.

Cons.

Menu system not very intuitive. Different from any other Garmin unit I am familar with.

Software used appears to have been designed for hikeing and fitness use rather than marine use. Some typical marine functions not found such as "course to steer", "speed over ground". The software for the GPS 72-76 series better designed for marine use.

Instructions on calibrating touch screen difficule to find but at end of manual.

4/6/10

Still have not used it on the water yet but did have a problem with the software update installed as part of the online registration process. There is a glitch with the latest software version 3.7 which prevents the unity from being put into the "nautical" mode which changes the default screen colors making it easier to read the charts and with the display of spot sounding. Tech support at Garmin with providing a work around untill an updated version of the software is issued. They emailed an earllier version of the unit software to be installed (very easy) until the fix is made.

5/17/10

Finally tried it on the water as a back up to a Garmin 3006 and 478.

Pros

Found current stations in the preloaded software, a nice surprise.

Cons
Ther vertical (portrait) orentation of the screen doesn't work as well IMHO as the horizontal (lanscape) orentation of either the 3006 or 478.

The unit software does provide tide charts which can be adjusted for other than the current date but it does not provide an indicator line of the current time. You need to interpert where you are on the tide chart from high and low times.

#98 ·
Imtra Lights

We've been gradually upgrading everything on our boat so the OEM plastic light fixtures had to go. Imtra makes some great looking pieces. I originally hesitated because of the price, but wanted something sharp for our new bulkhead light.

I ordered the St Maarten with a glass shade at the boat show and was really impressed when I received the light. Excellent build quality, high quality connectors and a really sharp looking piece.

After a year I noticed some slight pitting in the shade and called Imtra. They were aware of a problem with some lights and without question shipped me two additional glass shades. I'm VERY impressed with their products and customer service.

Jim

#99 ·
Okay, just worked my way all the way through this very useful thread. Our contribution:

Harbor Freight Multi-Function Tool. We're getting to the end (thank the Gods) of a complete deck replacement, and use this tool fairly continuously, every day. We got two, eventually, and got the $5 extended warranty with each. With two we can both work at the same time, keep them set up with different blades, or with blades set up at different angles. Also if one croaks, you still have the other. They work great (though loud, I use ear plugs) and are about a tenth of the cost of the Fein Multi-Tool.

Another thing we love is the solar flashlights you used to be able to get at Costco. Not sure they're still there. Bright light, no friggin' batteries to change if you just keep them where they can get sunlight. VERY tough-- we melted one, and it's curved worse than a banana and still working...

Spotless Stainless is amazing in re-habbing corroded stainless steel.

#101 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, just worked my way all the way through this very useful thread. Our contribution:

Harbor Freight Multi-Function Tool. We're getting to the end (thank the Gods) of a complete deck replacement, and use this tool fairly continuously, every day. We got two, eventually, and got the $5 extended warranty with each. With two we can both work at the same time, keep them set up with different blades, or with blades set up at different angles. Also if one croaks, you still have the other. They work great (though loud, I use ear plugs) and are about a tenth of the cost of the Fein Multi-Tool.
i totally agree on the multi tool, absolutely indispensable. i thought it paid for itself the first time i used it. also the finger sanding attachment can get to places you would not believe, dramatically reduces sanding time.

#100 ·
Jabsco 36800

I installed one last fall to replace a dead PAR. I've read poor reviews of Jabsco pumps, but it was onboard, new in the box. I didn't try it until spring, when I refilled my tanks. It leaked. I tightened the fittings and clamps. It leaked. Tightened again, broke the outlet port. Bought a new port, reassembled, it leaked. Looking carefully, I see that the leak is from the pressure switch. Removed, tightened, reinstalled. It leaks. Removed, tightened the bottomplate screws. Reinstalled, no leak! I don't know how well the pump will last, but I'm not encouraged by the lax assembly procedure.

#102 ·
Rust removal

Found a spray rust remover called "Ready Strip" by Sunnyside Products at my local hardware store. Contains Oxalic and Citric Acids. I've tried similar products before, but this stuff did a good job on rust stains nothing else worked on. 32 oz cost less than $6.00! It's odor free, and claims to be environmentally safe.

#105 ·
I have tried many brands of ablative paints for my sailboats the past dozen years. In the Bronx, NY, there is a constant coating of brine shrimp. I would dive down and clean the bottom almost every other week by August/September as the water warmed up.This past winter I found an article in Practical Sailor. They raved about Blue Water Marine Paint Copper Pro SCX 67 Boosted Ablative Paint. It is almost September, and I have done one quick cleaning all season. I will never try another bottom paint!!!

#107 ·
3M Finesse applied with a Milwaukee right angel polishing motor will absolutely cut thru flat sun-faded gel coat and get it back to a gloss with color. Don't overdo it as there is a limit to how much gel coat you can remove.

PB Buster or Kroil are two of the best penetrants made for your worst fastener that's stuck. WD40 is on every shelf so you'll have to look at NAPA or some high end stores to find them.

#109 · (Edited)
Gill safety knife.
Wish I could've reviewed the knife but the sheath held so poorly it would drop the knife if there was a stiff breeze. Wrote to gill, no response, no change in design. Horrible retention.
You're missing the point (no pun intended!). The knife instantly falls out of it's sheath into the drink. Then...there is no way you can hurt yourself with it. Can't get any "safer" than that!

Seriously, maybe your's was defective (looks like it has a mechanical release). If West Marine carries them (and IF you still have it!), I would check them out there. They would probably exchange it. No excuse for Gill not responding though! Unfortunately, poor customer service (or NO customer service!) seems more common now days.

#110 · (Edited)
Led spotlight

Edit: See post 113 before buying this light!
Bought this Led spot light at Lowe's for $39. It's rechargeable, is compact (it's body is about the size of my hand), waterproof (it floats beam up), has a bright beam for a small light and has adjustable intensity to save power. The on/off adjustment system looks like a potential weak link to me, but user reviews are good. A nice addition to my boat.
Shop Stanley Waterproof LED Spotlight Flashlight at Lowes.com

BTW: This thread has proved useful and popular. Having just reviewed it again, I agree with early posts that called for a product review forum. It would be even more useful. Categories could include: Tools, Paints, Cleaning products, Electronics, Lighting, etc. The pages of this thread should provide a useful guide.

Attachments

#112 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bought this Led spot light at Lowe's for $39. It's rechargeable, is compact (it's body is about the size of my hand), waterproof (it floats beam up), has a bright beam for a small light and has adjustable intensity to save power. The on/off adjustment system looks like a potential weak link to me, but user reviews are good. A nice addition to my boat.
Shop Stanley Waterproof LED Spotlight Flashlight at Lowes.com
I bought one of these Stanley lights last year. Works great, no problems with on/off, really holds a charge, and is very bright.

#113 · (Edited)
Oh no...say it ain't so!

Yikes! I was afraid of that, but thought battery technology had advanced enough to avoid that old problem. I understand that Costco has such volume, that name brands manufacture products "especially" for them to achieve their price points (hence, the 33% discount). Don't know if it's true, but given the favorable reviews I've seen on the light, including one in this thread, maybe thats the case. If not, I'll be sure to post about it, just after I return the light to Lowe's!
Edit: Sure enough....The light no longer takes a charge. Called Stanley and they said I could return it (of course). Asked the rep it the light was problematic. He said "no...I have one myself". Yeah...right! Too bad. Other than the fact it no longer works, it's a nice light!

#115 ·
Re: Product Reviews-SNADS

Finally getting around to installing the snaps for my cockpit cushions. After thinking twice about drilling, even a small hole for the metal snap/screw I decided to use the 3m SNAD. It's plastic, has a great adhesive with no holes to drill. I used the male SNAP for the locker lids and metal female snaps for the strap on the cockpit cushions. So far, so good! They are holding very well!

#116 ·
Re: Product Reviews-SNADS

Finally getting around to installing the snaps for my cockpit cushions. After thinking twice about drilling, even a small hole for the metal snap/screw I decided to use the 3m SNAD. It's plastic, has a great adhesive with no holes to drill. I used the male SNAP for the locker lids and metal female snaps for the strap on the cockpit cushions. So far, so good! They are holding very well!
Do you have a link to the product? I checked Google and the 3M site and snaps snaps for everything from dentures to stethoscopes.

#117 ·
Boomkicker...

Two thumbs up

Installed easily and I no longer fight with my backstay mounted topping lift. An added bunis is no more ducking at anchor

#118 ·
I have an '86 Peterson 46 that is fitted with Adkins Hoyle hatches and port lights. For the life of this boat these have been superior products, well constructed with little in design left to be desired. recently I went to replace the galley hatch as the opening portion developed a crack in the aluminum casting from metal fatigue from the spring. It only lasted 27 years! Wishing to replace with like brand I ordered a new hatch from AH as they would not replace the broken part only. It is a 12"x 17" hatch, replacement was $1275.00, which I thought was a bit high but as I could not fault the quality ordered the replacement. What I received was not the quality present on the boat and AH gladly accepted return with promise of a suitable replacement. Having just received the replacement and being again dissatisfied with its quality, called AH and spoke to Eric. He indicated that he had himself inspected the unit before shipment and found it acceptable. the issues are the castings which are of a much rougher finish and overall poorer in detail, the hinge bar holes were inaccurately drilled making the hatch and base misaligned upon meeting, the hatch is "reversible which is an additional charge but the support bar hole was not tapped. When I informed AH about the deficiencies I was informed that this was "as good as it gets" and that I was welcome to return the unit but that there was no point in replacing as another would be no better. I will likely keep the unit as I wish to keep uniformity in my components but I wanted to let folks know that we cannot rely on the quality of AH products as we have in the past. ERic at AH told me it was no longer profitable to invest the labor to make the same quality product as is on my 27 year old boat. And that is at $1275 for a 12x17 hatch.
so as a gear review thread just thought I would put this out there. The people were polite and accommodating and willing to accept return so I cannot fault them for that but they are apparently no longer capable of producing the quality that is their reputation.

#122 ·
I realize this an old post, but there is an excellent product I have used to weld aluminum with great success its called ALUMIWELD. I used this to repair a hole ripped into an aluminum hubcap from a 1925 Nash After 20 years its still there and only slightly different color. Also an alum flag staff bracket, a deck chair, and a few other things.
After welding the parts together the weld can be filed,ground,sanded and polished. I dont know how to add a link but I just typed the name and search found it. You get 20 sticks for $35 a lifetime supply or share with friends,I am connected to them in any way just think its a great product.:)

#119 ·
I had similar response and attitude from Eric over saloon and head hatch lenses and also opening port gaskets & fasteners. For two small lenses, 3/8" gasket & 6 2-1/2 socket head screws over $600. I located everything needed elsewhere for less than $200. They obviously don't know how their competitors produce a better product at a profit. But it's the attitude that less is better when boats cost more, production volume is lower, and the higher end buyer is expecting more. You would think tooling quality for castings would have improved, not gotten worse. A&H covered a huge market in their day, but it sounds like their days could be numbered.

#121 ·
Ritchie Navigator BN202 bulkhead compass

The magnets fell off the bottom of the card. Spontaneously, as far as I can tell. I looked one day and the card was skewed and unresponsive to a magnet. The 2 little magnets were rolling around on the bottom.
Sent it back. They were good about fixing it under warranty (about 2 years old) and said that enough glue hadn't been used during assembly.
So there I am stuck in a fog bank with only the compass to get me along a safe course. Plop. The magnets fall off because a) they were stuck on with glue and b) not enough glue. How chinese.
OK, the boat was on the hard and not at sea when this failure occured. But only by pure luck.
As I said, they fixed it without any problem, once I spent my time dismounting and shipping it to them. (No need to apologize, by the way) But the more I think about it, the more p__ed off I get at these dumb-asses. For over $200 they can damn well figure out how to affix the magnets mechanically, and not just stick them on with chemical spit. (Maybe mold the plastic so they clip in place, and glue them redundantly? Or is that too expensive?)
I hear Plastimo's equivalent is good--I wish I'd bought one.
John Vallely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.