SailNet Community - View Single Post - Master and Commander-Far Side of the World (Review)
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003

bmcald is on a distinguished road
Master and Commander-Far Side of the World (Review)

I don''t get to the movie theaters much anymore (noise, uncomfortable seats, sticky floors, prices, etc), but I couldn''t wait for Master and Commander to come out on video (no DVD yet...) or pay per view. The movie exceeded my expectations.

Not only did I enjoy it, but my wife enjoyed it too and became interested in the books! The evening show we went to was brought to an early halt by a power outage, and even though the opening parts we''d seen had made her cringe from the noise and bloodshed, she came along the next day to watch the entire movie.

The captain of a restored bugeyed skipjack first recommended the O''Brien books to me, and I gobbled them up during my armchair sailing days. The sailing bug had just bitten me after a week of day sailing on the skipjack; the O''Brien novels sank the hook deep.

Maturin''s role helps make the movie, as it did the books, much richer than just a tale of swashbuckling. His longing to catalog the species on the Galapagos Islands works well with the movie''s plot, illustrating how deep the mutual regard and need is between Aubrey and his surgeon, inspiring Aubrey to mimic a whaler in the way that an insect mimics a stick, and providing luck during an otherwise unlucky voyage.

Well done, and I hope there are more to follow!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook