SailNet Community - View Single Post - Laser for me?
Thread: Laser for me?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
It may have to do with reflex's, ie as we age, I am mid to late 40's, we do not respond to wind shifts/gusts as quick, so over we go vs being able to hike/make our upper body fall back enough to not go over!

I remember in JrH trying to race the std lasers, radial were not out/invoguq if you will. ANY gust would tip the thing over with my 110 lbs driping wet body with clothes on! It was tough!

At about that time too, some folks would have "high wind sails" made, which I believe were the impitous(sp?) if you will for the radial and smaller sail versions for smaller folks!

So yes, you could get a std laser with std BIG sail, then get the radial version to race, or be by yourself in heavier wind days, and use the BIG sail with another person, or really light days by yourself. What would be considered light vs heavy wind days.......You would have to figure that out for yourself, as what I might consider the upper end of light wind, you might be on the heavier side. No different than my dad vs myself golfing. I need a 6 iron to hit 135 yds, he uses a 7 iron. I do not hit as hard etc as he does!

Marty