SailNet Community - View Single Post - Laser for me?
Thread: Laser for me?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Dndrich, I'm not sure if you CAN be casual in a Laser or share a sail with a child or small adult. Especially in a lake setting with all the wind shifts. The Laser will let you know in a NY second if your not attentive to puffs/shifts of wind and I found I needed all the room I could get to maneuver/hike out or avoiding the boom. Things do happen rather quickly, so I wouldn't recommend a pax. in all but mundane conditions....and that sort of defeats the purpose of having a Laser!

That said, I had a blast with the Laser....although I had both sets of mast/sails, I almost always use the larger sail. At 6'2 and 210lbs. I needed it! I usually sailed on the Intracoastal and occasionally slightly offshore south of Port Canaveral, so I had fairly constant and stable winds. I found the ability to rig the boat in the prevailing wind speed by myself determined if I was able to sail that day, so I don't think you have to worry too much about the age thing in high wind conditions. If you can rig the boat, you can go sailing!

You can't beat a small racer for keeping in shape! I don't think, since 40 years of age, I could do more than 10 sit-ups. Must have been the surroundings or the salt water, but I could stay hiked out for 5 hours(depending on how many trawlers out there I could shame) pushing the boat and myself to the limits. I've lost prescription glasses, shoes, too numerous hats and two teeth sailing the darned things and wouldn't trade those days for anything. Most outrageous fun one can have....so go for it! BTW...back then I was closer to 50 yoa than you are now.

Bob

Last edited by fullkeel7; 08-13-2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added age
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook