SailNet Community - View Single Post - i figure why knot.
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008

DonnaCMT is on a distinguished road
i figure why knot.

Hello everyone out there in cyberspace!

My name is Donna. I am a massage therapist working out of Virginia Beach, VA. My apartment lease is up early October and I had been searching high and low for a condo, apartment, townhouse. I previously lived in a studio and I loved the coziness of a small space. But now, I can't find a damn thing that I like that allows dogs.

So then about a week ago a client of mine, who was visiting from out of town, told me he stays on a trawler when he comes to Virginia Beach. He visits his mother who lives in a retirement community and he couldn't stand sleeping on her couch one more weekend so he bought a 45' trawler and it stays tied up in Portsmouth, VA. He loves it.

He got me thinking. So I started doing some research and quickly became overwhelmed by information. Trawlers, houseboats, powerboats, motorboats, sailboats, so many options! But the sailboats they are a-calling me! I like the smaller ones; less than 30ft. As long as it has an enclosed head, little galley, and a bed.

BUT...

I have a 6 month old English/American Bulldog mix and she's been hiking in the mountains, great with road trips, camps like a champ. But who knows how she'll do with boating. None of my friends or family sail so I don't know how to introduce her to boats ... guess I just take her down to the marina ... or maybe rent a little boat for a day of fishing and see how she does.

Another concern is that I will most likely be getting a used boat. And being so new to the boating world I'm worried that I won't know what to look for as far as the amount of work that needs to be done.

I have ALOT to learn in a SHORT amount of time.

So my question is:

Do you think it's do-able?

Start to finish? Learn to sail in 2 months?? Learn how to repair and maintain a sailboat? Obtain any necessary permits, licenses, decals (?) to operate a liveaboard sailboat?

and also:

if you can point me in any direction that I need to be looking in.

I'm going to talk to someone at the marina (less than a half mile from work) today. Wish me luck

I appreciate any advice and I'll spend the rest of the day reading the threads on here ... some of you guys are pretty crazy! I think I'll fit right in.

Donna Kopf
Certified Massage Therapist
Virginia Beach, VA