SailNet Community - View Single Post - California Channel Islands Bareboat Charter
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003

pma_foyl is on a distinguished road
California Channel Islands Bareboat Charter

Hi Bob,

I sail the Channel Islands all the time and I think you''ll dig ''em. I''ve sailed in a lot of places, but the northern Channel Islands are my favorite. Catalina is okay, as is San Clemente. But the great islands are Anacapa, Santa Barbara, Santa Rosa and, my favorite, Santa Cruz. San Miguel and San Nic are great islands too, but a little too rough and too distant for most sailing applications. The north islands are uninhabited and there are NO moorings, so you must be confident in anchoring. These are great places where you will meet great sailors.

As for chartering, there are a few possibilities, but remember, this isn''t "Moorings." The boats I charter out of Ventura Harbor and Marina Del Rey are either "affordable" and sparce or "expensive" and nice. A typical day rate for a newer production boat can be well over $350 a day (Marina del Rey). Cheaper boats can be had, if you''re not worried about "new" or "extensively equipped." Of course, Marina del Rey is a LONG sail from the north islands.

Ventura or Santa Barbara are better ports for heading to the north islands. Check out Pacific Sailing (Ventura) or Santa Barbara Sailing Center for options. there are NOT a lot of choices. As I said, there are more in MdR, but further from great locales. In MdR, check out Bluewater Sailing, Seamist Skippers and Marina Sailing.

If you''d like more info regarding the islands, activities, good times or weather, feel free to email me directly. Enjoy your trip. I''m headed to Santa Cruz Island next weekend (it''s lobster season you know).

Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook