SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multi tools
Thread: Multi tools
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
Multi tools

I was given a Gerber multitool. It looks stylish and people like to flick the wrist and pop the plier head out. The blades require two hands to open and don''t lock into place and it is actually awkward to use the short screwdrivers and short blades on the bulky handle. The blades also are not pricesly finished and generally look like what I expect they are: blades for a knife that was meant to cash in on the niche created by the Leatherman.

All in all, I love my thick Victorinox Swiss Army knife with all the tools; hacksaw & metal file, small pliers, screwdrivers, magnifying glass and toothpick. It''s great for wiring work and small metal and wood jobs, and the blades hold an edge. The large blade is actually bigger than the Gerbers''. The first time I tried the wood saw, I cut through a 2x4 in 28 seconds. For a large blade I carry a Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) single blade Micheal Walker design with a patented "BladeLOCK" that locks the blade open as well as closed yet opens with a swipe of the thumb. The hinge joint won an award (so I''m told) for it''s robustness.

I keep My Gerber on my boat, but I don''t use it.

Chas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook