SailNet Community - View Single Post - Phase 1 of escape plan
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008

EBdreamn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Welcome aboard. Rather than try to give you a list of different boats, I'll say instead to take your time and look at as many different types of boats as you can, based on a realistic assessment of what you'll actual do. What suits for coastal/Caribbean use may not be as suited to bluewater passagemaking, depending on the level of comfort you desire.

As you don't mention any previous experience, I would highly recommend you look for crewing opportunities on as many different boats that might suit. Not only to get a feel for the boat, but to learn what you want and don't need

It's easy to "fall in love" with a particular boat, whether it's suitable or not. So try to keep an open mind as you search.

Best of luck in following your dream.
John, Thanks for the welcome. I have been sailing since about 10th grade on beach and cats anything else I could find. I agree I need more experience...mostly in heavy weather in bigger boats. But as for the fundamentals...I'm an intermediate skill level on single handing something over 30'. I will be practicing diligently between now and my final escape in 2010. Thanks again for your reply post.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook