SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat choices....
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Boat choices....

It is not that I don''t think that these boats are suitable for a circumnavigation, from my point of view, they just were not optimized for that kind of useage.

On the Mark II companionway, the sill was maybe 6 or 8 inches above the deck on the one that I was on. On the other hand the photos on Yachtworld show them higher. One thing that I have noticed is that the Wauquiez Hood 38''s must have been near custom boats as there are large variations in their deck layouts.

I was surprised at how many of these boats there are for sale. There were something like 120 to 150 of these boats made depending on who you believe. There is quite a large percentage of those on the market.

By the way, I consider an encapsulated keel totally unsuitable for the abuses of long distance voyaging. Encapsulated keels place the water tight membrane right at the most vulnerable position at the bottom of the keel. Once that membrane is damaged and water gets into the encapsulation, they are next to imposible to permanently repair. Encapsulation is a cheap and easy way to build a boat, but not a good one.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook