SailNet Community - View Single Post - Changing a V-Cleat to a C-Cleat?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008
funjohnson's Avatar
funjohnson funjohnson is offline
A New Adventurer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 283
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Changing a V-Cleat to a C-Cleat?

I ran a search for "cleat", "changing cleats, " and "v-cleat", but turned up nothing that helped.... I tried!

I just bought my first boat... a 1998 Hunter 240. It seems to be a great beginner boat for my wife and me, but I've already found an issue. The V-cleat for the jib will not hold the sheet. We tack, pull in the jib, try to lock the sheet in and BANG, it's out flapping in the wind. After researching this online, I see it is a common issue with this years Hunters. The answer seems to be replacing the worthless v-cleat with a cam cleat.

Problem I have is trying to figure out how to do this without creating holes in my new-to-me boat. The V-cleats run lengthwise and the cams are sideways. How is this fixed? Is there a plate I can buy that will hold the cam cleat in the same holes that are there for the V cleat?

I know there has to be a simple answer, but after looking and looking, I'm out of ideas.

Thank you,

Matt Johnson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook