SailNet Community - View Single Post - New here - Planning trip around the world...
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008

sailingatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
While that is a good cause perhaps you can find a way to raise money for it that actually raises money without
a) costing a arm and a leg
b) risking a arm and a leg
c) doing something most folks dream of doing as a life's ambition, in your case hopefully one paid for by others.
Kids with cancer don't have a choice... they are forced to "risk an arm and a leg". In my opinion, that's why this endeavor makes sense and actually has meaning.

I currently own a successful insurance agency, and there have been a couple of situations I have run into that have really touched my heart. Every day, my goal in life is to build my business and I want to turn that around and give something back.

To answer some other questions, I'm going to be purchasing a small "training" boat in the next few months. I have not made up my mind on this boat yet, but they idea will be to auction this off to purchase the vessel that will make the global voyage.

I honestly feel that something this drastic will receive publicity, which in turn will enable me to raise a very generous sum for this great cause. Someone sailing around the world with virtually zero experience is a big deal...

After completing the voyage (assuming I do...), I plan to auction the boat off and donate the proceeds into the charity as well.

A poster had mentioned whether this would be solo or crewed, and I am thinking a crew of 2-3 people including myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook