SailNet Community - View Single Post - heeling, weather helm and rudder control
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003

Randolph Bertin is on a distinguished road
heeling, weather helm and rudder control

For my part, I was looking for a bit of detail, and received some valuable help--I don''t know that anyone could really answer the question exactly as it is fairly complicated and may have to do with the specifics of my boat geometry/performance. For instance, I found on-line a review of sea-trials for four boats that included the Beneteau F235, which had the following to say:

"Unlike the Schock, which doesnít mind much it you put its rail down, the Beneteau displays unhappiness in a hurry. Heel this boat a degree too far, and itíll round up so fast that all the rudders in France (or South Carolina, where the boat is built) wonít help."

Anyway, maybe one of the problems with the Message Boards is that "Learning to Sail" indicates it is "a great place to meet other beginners if you are new to sailing," which implies it is aimed toward novice sailing questions. The beginner may feel intimidated or confused with too much technically advanced information. So, perhaps I posted my question in the wrong place.

However, there doesn''t seem to be a forum, where advanced sailing questions/answers would more naturally fall. And of course, no matter how much sailing one does, it seems, at least in my case, that I am always "Learning to Sail" as there is always more to learn. Is there a need for a different message board geared toward "Those who would like to know/discuss more in depth but are not new to sailing"??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook