SailNet Community - View Single Post - runaway boat
Thread: runaway boat
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
I don't see the humor, I guess.

The idiot in the boat should have had a clue on how to shut down his engine manually, for starters. Which begs the question: Do you know which lever/solenoid/etc. you have to pull to shut your engine down? Or he should have pulled it into neutral and left the engine to run free. Sure, it would blow the engine, but in the long run, that would be cheaper than plowing into a dozen other boats.

Second thing. He's going in a circle. Why? The helmsman wasn't strong enough to turn the wheel? Rudder quadrant/shaft broken? More likely the former. Or he/she was too panicked to do anything.

In any event, I don't see anything funny about that.

Or about this one: YouTube - sailboat crashes into pier

Looking at the waves, those two idiots in their Lasers should have been thinking about taking a knife to the sail, since that idiotic rig can't be lowered. Getting under a pier like that is a good way to get dead.

Yeah, I'm grumpy this morning. Jacksonville is starting to feel like Portland, Oregon. Rain, rain, rain, and more rain, and now Faye is dumping even more rain. I haven't seen my shadow in so long, I 'm not sure I still have one.