SailNet Community - View Single Post - recommend small (22-28'') performance sailboat
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-26-2003 Thread Starter
winslow59

recommend small (22-28'''') performance sailboat

Like many who visit here, I am seeking advice and recommendations to help with my search for a sailboat.

I was re-introduced to sailing as an adult while working in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was invited out on a wooden Folkboat...and fell in love -- the looks, the feel, the sailing in the bay. That''s my reference point.

I want a boat of a similar size (let''s say 22-28 ft), but probably fiberglass. My situation is such that I will have to leave the boat for extended periods of time (3-6-12 months) so I don''t think a 40+ year old woody would be the best choice. My home waters are the Pacific Northwest -- that means frequent light air days. So, maybe a sailboat that benefits from the design & performance advances of the last 50+ years. Simple, but comfortable interior. I don''t expect, or really want standing headroom (I''m about 6''2") or an enclosed head. Room for reading & listening to music, basic cooking, and sleeping accomodations for 2 is fine -- good looking, fast & fun to sail (for 1 or 2), well designed & built, with comfortable camping accommodations. Outboard expected, inboard diesel OK. Trailerable would be a plus. Prepared to spend $25,000 - would be extremely happy (relieved?) to find what I want for less and might go to $40,000 for something really special.

Some that come to mind - not one is exactly right and they are all different from one another. But, they represent a starting point. Comments? Additions?

Folkboat, fiberglass

Express 27 (Carl Schumacher)

Ultimate 24 or 27 (Jim Antrim)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome