SailNet Community - View Single Post - new monohull sailors
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008

bobsboat is on a distinguished road
new monohull sailors

Hello to everyone. We're excited to learn from you all! Briefly, we've converted to monohull sailing after years of Hobie Cat sailing. Bought a precision 21 as our first introduction. We've been sailing in Fishers Island Sound and have come to the conclusion that we would like a heavier, larger boat that would allow us to go to Block Island and Long Island. The Precision is a nice little boat, but it can be like riding on a cork when it gets a little windy and rough out there. we've been looking at older tartan 30's or cape dory 30's. We'd like something that can point well into the wind, has a comfortable ride and is big enough for just the two of us. My husband thinks we should go for a 30 ft. but i'm a little apprehensive. I wonder if that is going to seem like too much boat , but the 21 ft. doesn't seem as big as it did in the beginning of the season! we're looking at a 1978 Tartan 30, one owner, never been painted, fresh water only, with an atomic 4. Would appreciate your suggestions and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook