SailNet Community - View Single Post - West Marine Foul Weather Gear
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2003

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
West Marine Foul Weather Gear

The July 15, 2003, issue of Practical Sailor(Volume 29 - Number 14) has an excellent review of Foul Weather jackets. You can contact them at: practicalsailor@aol.com and request a copy. West Marine''s Explorer series gets pretty fair marks while the Gill Coast series sold by Sailnet fairs poorer. Here is the negative about the Gill Coast "The zipper is small. It was difficult to snug the hood to the face. The side pockets were too small; larger cargo pockets would be an improvement." The Gill Atlantic series, also sold by Sailnet, gets really good reviews except for the same complaint about being difficult to snug around the face and cost is $150.00 more than the West Marine Explorer. I believe who I purchase products from cannot be a loyalty issue to a particular organization when it comes to my needs and the quality I require. If Sailnet''s products meet my needs and my price criteria I will always buy from them. On the other hand, if I can buy an identical item for less, guess what? Yep, I buy from those folks who will sell them to me cheaper. But, I will always contact Sailnet and ask them if they are interested in at least matching the price of their competetor. I hope my input helps you in your decision. Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook