SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing / Rigging Knife
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I bought a Myerchin FIXED BLADE and have been pretty happy with the following.
- Fixed blade that is the same thickness all the way through the handle. I can't figure out why someone would want a folding blade. Fixed blades break far less often and are one hand user friendly.

- High carbon stainless steel. Yes, it will get surface rust in a saltwater environment, keep it clean with a drop of light oil on the blade. High carbon holds an edge better than other forms of stainless.

- The spike is good and bad. It has a shackle key built into it at the big end and is long enough to fit your hand and give you leverage. The point is slightly rounded off so it doesn't "stab" through your lines or your hand which is nice, however this doesn't allow you to adjust your life line "collars" to tighten or loosen them.

- The sheath, is nothing to shake a stick at. Nylon with a plastic insert for the blade that does allow you to "holster" the knife with one hand. This was very important to me considering the other hand is keeping me on the boat.

I do like the system overall. One hand operation and the durability and safety of the fixed were the two major requirements. The only real complaint I have is the design of the serrated edge. It has points on the serrated part that tend to snag lines before it cuts them. The Spyderco knife has the exact opposite design (almost like a negative from a photo) that would let you get a good swipe to cut through w/o the blade getting hung up. Other than that, the blade is very sharp.

PS - one note I wanted to add is that I really don't like folding blade unless they have a thumb opener with spring assist. An "oldschool" folder that requires you to use 2 hands to operate just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by zz4gta; 08-25-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook