SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trip Report: Quartmaster's Marina - Vashon Island
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008
artbyjody's Avatar
artbyjody artbyjody is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, PNW
Posts: 3,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 11
artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Trip Report: Quartmaster's Marina - Vashon Island

This was a weekend to remember. Once again - a trip filled with adventure at every turn and challenging my skills like no other weekend has.

It all began on Friday. Brian dropped by after work to give us a hand getting the boat ready for the trip. Additionally, Dana and Kelly stayed the night on board to also assist with cleanup etc.

We got the halyard back down from the mast that got snagged up when the halyard opened under pressure flying the kelvar sails the day before in the race. Brian tackled investigating the reason why the little outboard would run for a few moments and then die. Luckily, we have determined that its just a clogged fuel line at the base of the tank.

I had also purchased two Waeco mobile coolers to replace the Igloo that someone lifted the night before. Unfortunately I could not get the wiring done before hand for the cigarette adapters due to the decision of the fresh water system volunteering to clean out the bilge. However, they worked well and highly recommend them if you have iceboxes instead of refrigeration as its a great portable solution without the hassles of installing plates, compressors etc...

At any rate - boat is stowed like it has never been before. I decided to get all of the "project" parts off the boat to free up the cabinets.

Saturday morning - everyone arrives. Steve whom normally sails with us opted to go on "Slingshot" since our sailing was not going to be all that intense. Have to remember we are flying a C-27 North X-10 jib that basically was being flown like a asymmetrical. That left me with an all female crew - the first time this season, and definitely a fun group of ladies.

We fuel up, pump out, and bring on ice after we do our standard, "Q&A" and safety briefing. Head out to the harbor, and enjoy light light winds - so light, we had to go motoring. Thats when another boat called us and asked for an assist to go back to the marina due to being out of fuel.

Thus, we got them all tied up and towed in. We did a awesome job slinging them into the fuel dock and without skipping a beat we headed back out.

We did manage a little bit more sailing around Alki after we caught up with "Sea Trek" and "Slingshot". But, then we had to simply motor.

Arrive at Quartermaster's, and we were in process of backing down to pull into the slip next to "Slingshot" - when all the sudden - no cavitation - no torque.

Luckily we had 50 foot lines at the ready and we tied up to the pilings that supported the walkway. Mike from "Straightshot" had his dive suit already on as he was crabbing and immediately dove on us and cut the line that was wrapped. Someone had knocked the spinnaker sheet line into the water - and we never noticed it. Bent one of the stanchions, and pulled the shaft out of the engine about an inch.

One of the guys had his dingy out and I managed to direct him with how to tow the boat around the pier. Wind was picking up so it was a bit of a challenge on that one. But, we got around and managed to tie up to another boat for the evening.

We wine and dine and enjoy the social. Plenty of wine and food to go around, as I did another Iron Chef with "secret ingredients" brought by our guests and Grady's boat - but wasn't the best. Broke 4 wine glasses (luckily have plenty of them and think we'll be phasing the stemware out for the stemless.)

We actually (on our boat) retire a bit earlier than everyone else. Just simply exhausted from the days event.

The marina itself is nice. No power or water on the docks. But bathroom facilities are provided. Moorage is first come - first served, and was capable of handling some fairly large yachts. Their is also plenty of mooring balls out as well. All in all - I think I would do that marina again.

When I wake up in the morning - we have absolutely no power and the forward head is no longer doing the seawater flush. I investigate the battery issue and someone had turned off the main battery switch. I can't tell you how pissed I was that someone would walk down below and turn off my electrical. That was simply wrong. I think someone thought they had the right to force me not to have the spreader light on - and when I moor I get it on for lighting up forward (more of a safety deal).

At any rate get all that done, and attempt to get the shaft back in. I wasn't able to with the tools on board and so just went with the flow. We do the cleanup and analyze our situation.

I decide to sail off the pier once all my crew was back and ready (and Steve is back on board). Wind was blowing us into the boat we were tied up to so we walked the boat down and turned her in. Then raised the "jiblet" and off we went. Thats the first time I have ever sailed off a dock.

Good sailing out the channel. Rainy though but decent winds (some up to 20 knot gusts). "Slingshot" followed us on our route to keep an eye on us. And then the wind died and the rain and fog weighed down heavy on us. "Slingshot" then offered to tow us - and thus we accepted.

I cooked up another Iron Chef meal. Asparagus with roasted red peppers, A Indian style curried chicken, and a Mexican "pot luck" mash. I did very well with not having cooked with some of the food brought and think everyone enjoyed the hearty meal.

I got to use my AIS with the fog and was glad I had it as we went across the commercial traffic zone. But, other than one cargo ship that we came pretty close to, no other incidents. Grady got us to the breakwater side of "N" pier and cast us off without a hitch.

It was an interesting trip - and managing to handle the events with absolute calmness through out. The rookie crew listened to the briefings of what we had to do before we did it and as such - everyone handled their roles in the adversarial situations we were in with ease. And now I can say that hey, "That happened to me"....

As it stands now I am debating if I try to go through the locks under tow again for heading up to CSR to get the prop back in. I am going to try again tonite and loosen the coupler a hair and see if I can pull the shaft back into the boat that inch or two it needs. But, I think doing so I may have to replace the shaft seals... who knows at this point...

That was the weekend. Great fun even with all other things considered.
-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook